A few of you wanted to know how I made the cake pops for FringeKid’s birthday, so I decided to give you the recipe with directions. They are so easy I couldn’t even mess them up, and I haven’t been having such a great cooking week.
1 box cake mix
1 can frosting
1-2 bags colored melting chips (sold in the craft/baking section of your super center or craft store)
sticks (sold with the melting chips)
1 styrofoam block
1. Prepare the cake according to recipe on box. Bake. Let cool and crumble into a bowl in teeny-tiny pieces.
2. Add 3/4 can frosting. Mix thoroughly. It will be a mushy mess and that’s good.
3. Roll into little balls (you can use a melon baller if you want) with your hands and lay them all on a cookie sheet. After the cookie sheet is full, pop it in the fridge for about 20 minutes until the cake balls are cold.
4. Stick your melting chocolate in the microwave for about a minute. Melt in small batches, because it hardens quickly.
5. After the chips are melted, dip your stick into the chocolate and then insert in a cake ball. You use the chocolate like glue. Then cover the entire cake ball in melted chocolate. I used a spoon and I dipped the ball.
It’s important that there aren’t any open spots or cracks. You can use a toothpick to cover any cracks. If you have a pinhole or crack the pressure will make the cake “poop” out. It’s not pretty. The last thing you want is a pooping pop.
6. Add a few sprinkles to the top and you’re done. It’s easy!
Now if you’re uber talented, you can buy the Bakerella cookbook and turn these pops into little critters with fancy painted faces. I’m a simple (read not-so-talented) kinda girl, so little cake balls with sprinkles are fain-cy for me.
Everybody will love them, I promise!
I couldn’t have made these pops without phone counseling from my sister-in-law. She does amazing things with butter and sugar. Every Christmas FringeMan reminds how good her sugar cookies are and how not-so-hot my sugar cookies turn out. I just can’t replicate her cookies. She’s good, I tell ya.
Just be warned – once you start eating these, you won’t want to stop. You will get a bad case of caloric love. Don’t blame me!