Tonight as we were eating dinner, my husband asked, “Where is that draft coming from?”
It’s seemed cold in the house today and he thought perhaps one of our basement windows blew out. That happened back in January. The force of the snow coming from the neighbor’s snowblower blew out a window and our pipes froze. We weren’t look forward to replaying that scene. Once a winter is plenty.
That’s when I realized we forgot to build a fire this afternoon. Well, duh. No wonder it’s cold, right?
That got my daughter talking about fires. “Some people think having a fire in the house is bad.” she said.
“Well, if it’s burning down the house, it’s definitely bad, but if it’s in our woodstove, that’s very good. And, if it’s in the kitchen stove while I’m cooking, well….”
“That’s normal!” my daughter exclaimed before I could even finish my sentence.
My cooking gets a bad rap. That’s all I gotta say.
Then I remember the time not long ago when my daughter stood in awe as a burner went up in flames.
Ok, so maybe she’s got a point.
Your daughter is awesome. If it makes you feel any better, right before we moved out of our apartment, we had a whole string of grease fires. Oil had bubbled over onto the burner at one point causing it to catch on fire, and then for days after that it kept catching every time I tried to cook. It didn’t seem to matter how well I cleaned it, it would catch. It got to the point where I was terrified to make mac and cheese!
Kids just have away of bringing it all “home”!